Articles

Statistics
  • 46385 Articles

A protest by students of the College of Education Gindirin, Plateau State turned violent on Thursday leading to the burning of a clinic and at least eight vehicles.

Following the protest, the management of the institution located in Mangu Local Government Area shut the school indefinitely.

The spokesperson of the institution, Elizabeth Aboreng,...

A protest by students of the College of Education Gindirin, Plateau State turned violent on Thursday leading to the burning of a clinic and at least eight vehicles.

Following the protest, the management of the institution located in Mangu Local Government Area shut the school indefinitely.

The spokesperson of the institution, Elizabeth Aboreng, confirmed shutting of the school to PREMIUM TIMES, via telephone interview.

She said the decision by the management was to curtail further destruction of property.

PREMIUM TIMES learnt that the students protested the delay in the issuance of their school identity cards, which they claimed they had paid for.

The identity cards, according to the protesting students, was to be used in identifying students to be allowed into examination halls.

A student, who pleaded not to be named for fear of being victimised, said the school management said the school management was also short-changing the students.

He said even though the students paid health centre fees, they are still made to pay huge sums when in need of medical care at the school clinic.

The institution has no students union and thus no one to officially speak for the protesting students.

In reaction to the protest, the spokesperson of the institution, Elizabeth Aboreng, confirmed the violence to PREMIUM TIMES in a telephone interview.

“We ran for our lives, the students were violent,” she said.

“The institution’s internal security could not contain the situation, they (students) burnt down our school clinic with two ambulances. They also destroyed and set ablaze six other cars belonging to staff."

“We had to invite security agencies, but they had already caused the havoc. The shutting of the institution is indefinite till further notice,” she said.

The spokesperson of the Plateau State Police Command, Terna Tyopev also confirmed the protest. He said no life was, however, lost in the violence.

  1.   23 February 2018
  2.   saha

Some senators have hinted that the release of some of the Chibok girls kidnapped in April 2014, involved payment of ransom to the Boko Haram terror group.

The senators said this on Thursday while deliberating on a motion seeking the intervention of the federal government in the rescue of the 46 girls who were reported missing at a school in...

Some senators have hinted that the release of some of the Chibok girls kidnapped in April 2014, involved payment of ransom to the Boko Haram terror group.

The senators said this on Thursday while deliberating on a motion seeking the intervention of the federal government in the rescue of the 46 girls who were reported missing at a school in Yobe after insurgents invaded their school.

While the federal government has confirmed that negotiations took place in the release of some of the 276 captured Chibok girls, it has however kept mum on the issue of possible ransom paid. Over 100 of the Chibok girls have been released while scores more are still being held by the terrorists.

The lawmakers explained that Boko Haram now kidnap women and girls so as to negotiate and ”get money” from the federal government ”just like the case of Chibok girls.”

One of those who expressed that view was the Senate Leader, Ahmed Lawan.

Mr. Lawan (APC, Yobe North) said extraordinary measures need to be taken in order to protect the girls as Boko Haram now ”use them as a target to get funds”.

“What happened was unfortunate and after the Chibok incident, it was the wish of every Nigerian that it doesn’t happen again in the country. I want to, at this point, commend Mr. President, Muhammadu Buhari, for immediately taking action by directing the armed forces to move into Yobe to ensure that Boko Haram did not run away with any single girl."

“I want to also commend the Governor of Yobe State, Ibrahim Geidam, for ensuring that parents were comforted, for sending officials of the ministry of education to go round the families and ensure that they took a headcount of the girls from that school."

“What happened is a lesson for us. That Boko Haram sees girls or women as value targets. What they did in Chibok earned them some funds, because negotiations were held somehow and they got a lot of money."

“Now, the lesson is, we need to be extra careful and take extraordinary measures in protecting our schools; especially girls’ schools in those states especially Borno, Yobe, and Adamawa.”

Mr. Lawan further said that Yobe State has spent over N15 billion supporting security agencies posted to the state, adding that “it is an indication that the state government is working in collaboration and cooperation federal government.”

“I want to urge our state to continue to do that but the federal government should also do the needful. Our state is not those kinds of states that you get a lot of money and therefore, such funds should be refunded to them so that we will continue to provide the required security," he said.

Bukar Abba (APC, Yobe East), who sponsored the motion condemned that attack. He commended the federal government for sending a delegation to the state in a bid to resolve the matter.

“I understand that the governor of Yobe State has already gotten the military to deploy and the police. The federal government has already sent a high-power delegation; three ministers to go and stay in Damaturu and report to Mr. President on a continuous basis until the matter is resolved," he said.

Hassan Mohammed (APC, Yobe South) said that the government of the state has ‘failed serially.’

”This quite disheartening to hear, with due respect to Senator Lawan, to commend the state government for serially failing to protect our students. This is the primary responsibility of the government; to protect the lives and properties of its citizen."

”The state government of Yobe has serially failed in this regard. It has abdicated its primary responsibility in doing that. Again, Mr. President…”

He was, however, cut short by Mr. Lawan, who came under order 53(7) to ”caution his colleague.”

“Order 53 (7)- No senator, shall input improper motive to any other senator."

”How I wish that I didn’t have to come under any order to react to what my brother and colleagues said. I have my reasons for commending the president, the governor, and government of Yobe State."

“If my colleague doesn’t see those reasons and he has his perspective, he doesn’t have to refer to me that what I said is not in order. I have my facts, he has his facts. I will advise, that he states his fact without making reference to me”, he said.

Responding to Mr. Lawan, the Deputy Senate President, Ike Ekeremadu said: “unless I didn’t hear him well, he didn’t mention you. He was only talking about the governor. If he had mentioned you it would be driven to that aspect you read.”

The Senate Deputy-President now addressed Mr. Mohammed.

“So concentrate on what you want to say. Senate leader is entitled to praise the government, and you are also entitled to condemn them. This is the theatre of democracy.”

Mr. Mohammed still went ahead to criticise the state government for not issuing any ”official statement.”

“This incident happened four days ago, as I speak to you now, not a single official statement came out of this state government. So what kind of government do we have in that state? This is the question I am asking. School children have been abducted. There is no record; you will be getting conflicting reports. Today the police will say 67, another agency of government will say another."

“That is why I strongly feel, that the state government has abdicated its primary responsibility of protecting the lives and property of the citizens of Yobe state," he said.

Also contributing to the motion, Joshua Lidani (PDP, Gombe South), said that the Chibok incident in 2014 were school-girls were abducted ”ought to have given the federal and state governments a signal especially those in the states that are concerned; Borno, Yobe, and Adamawa.”

“The secondary schools are most vulnerable especially girls’ schools. You know what happened with Chibok girls and we ought to take proactive measures to ensure schools, especially girls schools are well protected. Therefore, we have observed of recent that, this spate of kidnappings happens whenever the Boko-Haram are being severely attacked or are on the run."

“They devise a means of going to abduct people so that they would negotiate with the federal government for ransom. It happened with the recent abduction of Maiduguri staff that were on an exploration. The government negotiated with them and they got money."

“Now they have been empowered, even with police officers wives, the federal government went and negotiated with them and they were given money. We need to be very proactive in this case because the idea of sitting down to always negotiating and paying ransom with this action, we are empowering the Boko- Haram so that they would continue to do more.”

He also flayed President Muhammadu Buhari for his aloofness.

“But the most worrisome aspect was the fact that at times like this, whenever we are faced with this kind of situation, the nation ought to hear from the president. He ought to say something."

”When there were killings in the United States in a school, the President himself went to that school to sympathize with the students and the parents."

“He ought to utter words of sympathy he ought to come to one television and say one thing or the other. It would bring comfort to those who are in distress. People will have the feeling that the President has them in his heart," he said.

Mr. Eweremadu, while sympathizing with the governor and people of Yobe State, said the issue depicts the need for ”another level of policing.”

“If you now asking the military and the police to provide security at all the schools, they cannot have the number to do so. There must be another level of policing to complement the federal government security infrastructure in order to be able to secure all parts of Nigeria,” he said.

The Senate thereafter resolved to ”condemn the attack on the school.”

It also ”urged the FG to quickly recover the girls so as not to repeat the issue of the Chibok girls’ experience.”

  1.   23 February 2018
  2.   saha

Chairman of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP)‎ has alleged that the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) was doing everything possible to rig the 2019 general elections in favor of the All Progressives Congress (APC).

The party, however, backed the National Assembly's position on election sequence, saying there was nothing wrong...

Chairman of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP)‎ has alleged that the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) was doing everything possible to rig the 2019 general elections in favor of the All Progressives Congress (APC).

The party, however, backed the National Assembly's position on election sequence, saying there was nothing wrong with the new order where the presidential election would be conducted last. 

Speaking at a meeting of the PDP Board of Trustees (BoT) on Thursday in Abuja, Uche Secondus said the opposition party would use its strength to resist any form ‎of rigging in 2019. 

"We want Nigeria to know that INEC is doing everything to rig elections in 2019.‎ It happened in 2015 and we will not allow it to happen in 2019. Why are they registering under-age Nigerians?"

"We are determined and have resolved to resist all the illegalities in this country. This is the right time for those who left our party to come back. The APC is not a party; they have failed in virtually all sectors."

"Today, Nigerians are not safe; there ‎are killings here and there. This government is misleading Nigerians that some of the 94 kidnapped girls in Yobe are rescued, but we got a reliable information that they have not been rescued. We ask Buhari to ensure that our girls are rescued," Secondus said. 



 

  1.   23 February 2018
  2.   saha

The Yobe State government has apologized for issuing to the public, information concerning the alleged abduction and rescue of 111 schoolgirls at Government Girls Science Technical College, Dapchi.

The government described the information as “unreliable,” and apologized for it.

A press release signed by the Director-General Press Affairs, Mr....

The Yobe State government has apologized for issuing to the public, information concerning the alleged abduction and rescue of 111 schoolgirls at Government Girls Science Technical College, Dapchi.

The government described the information as “unreliable,” and apologized for it.

A press release signed by the Director-General Press Affairs, Mr. Abdullahi Bego, and entitled “apology and clarification,” stated that the information it issued about the matter was provided by one of the security agencies involved in the fight against Boko Haram.

The Yobe State government has since realized that the information was “unreliable,” and has since apologized for it and retracted it.

The press release reads:

The public may recall that we issued a statement last night (Thursday, February 21, 2018) in which we announced that some of the girls at Government Girls Science Technical College, Dapchi, who went missing after Boko Haram terrorists had stormed their school last Monday, were rescued by officers and men of the Nigerian Army who are currently executing the war against the Boko Haram insurgents.

We issued the statement on the basis of information provided by one of the security agencies that is involved in the fight against Boko Haram and which we had no reason to doubt.

We have now established that the information we relied on to make the statement was not credible. The Yobe State government apologizes for that.

His Excellency Governor Ibrahim Gaidam was in Dapchi today (Thursday, February 22, 2018), where he met with community leaders and the principal and staff of the Girls’ College.

The governor also addressed the parents of some of the schoolgirls that are still unaccounted for, where he told them to pray and exercise patience as the government and security agencies at all levels continue the work to address the unfortunate situation.

His Excellency Governor Gaidam has also directed Education Ministry officials and the school administration to work closely with the security agencies to establish the actual number of the girls that are still unaccounted for and to contact parents and the community for possible information that could be useful in the investigation.

His Excellency Governor Gaidam shares deeply and personally in the grief about the unfortunate event at the Girls’ College and, under his leadership, the Yobe State Government will continue to do everything necessary in partnership with security agencies and the federal government to address the situation.

  1.   23 February 2018
  2.   saha

Ten people died and 10 others were seriously injured in a road accident which occurred around 11.30 a.m. on Thursday in Majiya town, Taura Local Government Area of Jigawa.

Adamu Shehu, the spokesman of Jigawa Command of the Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps, NSCDC, confirmed the incident to the News Agency of Nigeria in Dutse on...

Ten people died and 10 others were seriously injured in a road accident which occurred around 11.30 a.m. on Thursday in Majiya town, Taura Local Government Area of Jigawa.

Adamu Shehu, the spokesman of Jigawa Command of the Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps, NSCDC, confirmed the incident to the News Agency of Nigeria in Dutse on Thursday.

He said the accident involved a Sharon bus with registration number GWL 262 ZA and a Toyota Hilux van with number plate ZY 749 AGL.

Mr. Shehu said the cause of the accident is yet to be ascertained.

He, however, said, "our men who conducted a rescue mission along with some good Samaritans in the area, attributed the cause to speeding and loss of control."

The spokesperson noted that rain showers were recorded in the area.

‘‘As at the time of giving this report, 10 people were confirmed dead; they include two children, one woman, and seven men."

‘‘Ten others also sustained serious injuries and were rushed to Ringim General Hospital for prompt medical attention."

‘‘The Sharon bus is a commercial vehicle while the Toyota Hilux belongs to Wazobia Global Broadcasting and Communication FM Station,’’ he said.

  1.   23 February 2018
  2.   saha
No articles created yet
Unable to load tooltip content.

Get Beautiful Website

bizgrowthwebside

Paid Events Calendar

February 2018
S M T W T F S
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28

REVIEWS & COMPLAINTS

Your review
Impressed !
Lanre · REVIEWS · 1 months ago
Your review
Shame Shame Shame Shame !

adngine code

Share